2019 Competition Rules
No one wants to be unnecessarily disappointed by the outcome of a competition, or for an otherwise excellent story submission to be disqualified, so please make sure you read and understand all the competition rules. You might also want to sign up for our mailing list. We'll send you competition updates (including rule changes), so you're always up-to-date.
- The 2019 Literary Taxidermy Short Story Competition (LTSSC) is open to everyone.
- Authors may not submit their LTSSC stories anywhere else during the duration of the LTSSC.
- Your story must be a new and original work that has not been previously published.
- Your story must include the opening and closing lines, as given.
- Your story must be in English.
- Your story must be fewer than 2500 words in length. (That includes the title, as well as the opening and closing lines.) There is no minimum length.
- There are NO GENRE REQUIREMENTS. Everything's fair game: satire, tragedy, science fiction, fantasy, suspense, detective, romance, hyper realism, magical realism, plain old realism, speculative fiction, flash fiction, meta-fiction, meta-meta-fiction, screenplay, poetry, et cetera.
- Your manuscript must be easy to read: double-spaced 12 pt Times (or a similar size and typeface). Your text color must be black; your page color must be white.
- Your manuscript must be page-numbered and included the story name on the top of each page. (For example, "Story Title - Page 5.")
- Your manuscript must NOT include your name nor any contact details. (We require authorial anonymity for our judges.)
- Your manuscript must be a Microsoft Word, Apple Pages, or plain text document. Authors are encouraged to use one of our Manuscript Templates. Templates are available for Microsoft Word and Apple Pages.
- A USD $10 Entry Fee is required for each story submitted to the competition.
- The Entry Fee must be paid via PayPal. You may pay here: The 2019 Competition
How to Submit Your Story
- Your story will be accepted in digital format only.
- Your story must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org as a single document attachment. It must arrive before the competition deadline.
- The filename of your document should derive from the title of your story. Do NOT use your name as any part of the filename.
- If you are submitting multiple stories, each story must be sent in a separate email. (Note: A USD $10 Entry Fee is required for each story submitted to the competition.)
- Any error in submission format may mean that your entry will not be considered, so please double-check.
- Learn more about submitting your story here: The 2019 Competition
- Regulus Press, with the input of the Competition Judges, will determine the winning, runner-up, and honorable mention stories for the Competition.
- Regulus Press, with the input of the Competition Judges, may determine no winner, runners-up, and/or honorable mentions for the 2019 competition if they find no submission that, in their estimation, merits award.
- All decisions made by Regulus Press regarding the winners, runners-up, and honorable-mentions are final.
- The group of Competition Judges may be changed at any time without notice.
- All submissions must be received before 04 June 2019 at 12:00 PM PST. Late entries will NOT be considered.
You have remaining to submit your work.
- Winning entries will be announced in September 2019 on the Literary Taxidermy website. Winners and runners-up will be contacted by email.
- The author of the winning story in the 2019 Competition will receive a USD $500 cash prize.
- The author of a runner-up story will receive a USD $50 cash prize.
- All winning and runner-up stories will be published in the 2019 Literary Taxidermy Anthology.
- The author of the winning story will receive a complimentary copy of the 2019 Literary Taxidermy Anthology.
- Those authors whose story received honorable mention will be listed in the 2019 Literary Taxidermy Anthology.
Authors' Rights and Responsibilities
- Authors retain the rights to the stories they submit to the LTSSC.
- Winning and runner-up authors, in exchange for aforementioned LTSSC awards (prize money and/or a copy of the 2019 Literary Taxidermy Anthology), grant first English-language publication rights to Regulus Press. Winning and runner-up authors will receive no additional compensation for participation in the LTSSC or for publication in the 2019 Literary Taxidermy Anthology.
- Winning and runner-up authors will be required to sign and return any applicable documents sent by Regulus Press related to the LTSSC, which may include but are not limited to a letter of award acceptance, waiver of liability, and an affidavit of eligibility within three (3) days of notification.
- By participating in the LTSSC, each author represents and warrants that: (i) the submission is original to the author, and all right, title and interest (including but not limited to copyright) therein and thereto is exclusively owned and/or controlled by the author to the full extent necessary to enable Regulus Press to use the submission as contemplated by these Competition Rules; (ii) the submission does not contain any material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any jurisdiction where the submission is created; (iii) the submission does not infringe upon the intellectual property or other statutory or common law rights of any third party (including but not limited to copyright, trademark, personality or privacy rights); (iv) Regulus Press' use and re-use of the submission in accordance with the terms set out herein will not infringe or violate the rights of any third party (including copyright), or require any payment to or consent/permission from any third party; and (v) the submission has not been previously exploited or published in any form, and no rights in or to the submission have been granted, pledged, or assigned to any third party which would interfere with or derogate from the rights granted to Regulus Press as described in these Competition Rules.
- By participating in the LTSSC, each author grants permission for Regulus Press to use their submission for editorial, advertising, and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law.
- By participating in the LTSSC, each author agrees to hold Regulus Press, their advertising and promotion agencies and their affiliates, partners, representative agents, successors, assigns, officers, directors, and employees harmless for any injury or damage caused or claimed to be caused by participation in the LTSSC or acceptance or use of the awards.
- Expenses not specifically included in awards description, including but not limited to all taxes, are the sole responsibility of the winning and runner-up authors
- After publication of the 2019 Literary Taxidermy Anthology, the winner and runners-up are free to publish their stories anywhere, so long as credit is given to Regulus Press and the Literary Taxidermy Short Story Competition.
- By participating in the LTSSC, each author grants to Regulus Press the right to use his/her/their name, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address (collectively, “Personal Information”) as follows: (i) for the purpose of administering the LTSSC, including but not limited to contacting and announcing the winners; (ii) for publicity and promotional purposes relating to the LTSSC, in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, without further compensation unless prohibited by law, such use shall only be with respect to the author’s name, city and country, state, province or territory of residence; and (iii) for the purpose of contacting an entrant with respect to the submission of additional literary works.
- Regulus Press will use the author’s Personal Information only for identified purposes, and will not sell, rent or otherwise transfer the author’s Personal Information to any third party.
- By submitting to the LTSSC, you are agreeing to all competition rules.
- Competition rules are subject to change.
- This competition is not open to minors under the age of majority in their country of residence without the express consent of a parent or legal guardian.
- This competition is void where prohibited by any law, regulation, rule, or authority.
- Email email@example.com with any questions.